“What Is Our Actuality?”
The sonic foundation for “What Is Our Actuality?” is the voice of continental philosopher Michel Foucault, lecturing at UC Berkeley on the topics of Kant, Enlightenment, historical archaeology and power (its construction, institutionalization, technologies etc.).
Other sound sources are numerous (a partial inventory provided below).
“What Is Our Actuality?” is performed on an instrument with a QWERTY keyboard for its interface, and the work’s score is a series of passages from Issue #2 of “The Black Panther: World of Wakanda.”
Partial Inventory of sound sources:
– Motion picture soundtrack for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
– Motion picture soundtrack for Lone Wolf McQuade
– Yasunao Tone, “IA Deviation”
– Sounds of the motion picture The Cat from Outer Space
– Cassi, Emil. Prf, Hamilton Fish, Bucky O’Neil, and Captain Capron. [Bugle calls played by chief trumpeter Cassi of Roosevelt’s Rough Riders]. [United States: E. Berliner’s Gramophone, 1898] Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress,
– La Flesche, Francis, George Miller, Alice C Fletcher, and Francis La Flesche. Funeral Song. /09, 1895. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/omhbib000457/
– Pierre Boulez, “Doubles”
– Daphne Oram (various)
– Alpha Prhyme, “Misanthropic”
– Sounds of the motions picture The Day the Earth Stood Still
– Clifford Burke, interview with Studs Terkel
– Radio broadcasts, The Lone Ranger
Image: Michel Foucault, Port Magazine.